According to Time Magazine: “Climate change skeptics are pointing to the record cold weather as evidence that the globe isn’t warming. But it could be that melting Arctic ice is making sudden cold snaps more likely—not less“
Do you want to see what a cold snap really looks like according to the NOAA?
February 1936 – Coldest Month in USA History (click on the image for the full effect)
In 2014, Feb was -1.69°F below the 1901-2000 average. In February 1936 the USA was -8.59°F below average. Big difference.
In North Dakota, February 1936 was -26.0°F below the 1901-2000 average. The whole month averaged -14.1°F below 0.
In comparison, lets take a look at Feb 2014:
March 1910 (Before Global Warming) 7.94°F Above the 1901-2000 Average
Some of those divisions are 16F above normal.
March 2014 (After Global Warming) -0.99°F Below the 1901-2000 Average
PS I just randomly picked 1934 without checking. And then I noticed 1910 … but I’ll post the 1934 map so it doesn’t go to waste.
March 1934 (Before Global Warming) 1.28°F Above the 1901-2000 Average
As a minor followup to my post “Could CO2 have lowered the rate of natural warming?” lets consider ocean warming.
From 1900 to 1945 oceans were warming at a rate of 0.0116188C per year.
After 1945 oceans were warming at a rate of 0.00654978C per year.
Which means the massive 1945 increase in CO2 after 1945 slowed the rate of ocean warming by 0.00506902C per year. Which is a drop off 44%.
Woodfortrees Url is here.
Every once in a while I read the Daily Mail website Today I came across:
Climate change is damaging fish brains and causing them to lose their survival instinct, researchers warn
Immediately all I could think of was:
Climate change is damaging
fish brains researchers brains and causing them to lose their minds
So lets get to the key point. They claim fish act bolder when exposed to water with a lower pH level:
“There’s no difference between the fish treated with CO2 in the lab in tests for chemical senses versus the fish we caught and tested from the CO2 reef”
Could it be that catching the fish and not killing them causes the fish to act differently?
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2605560/Fish-losing-survival-instinct-climate-change-claim-researchers.html
Lets say you have a pot of water that is warming, but you can’t see underneath it. There is a thermometer in the pot, and intermittently you write down the temperature.
And at some point some people come up with a theory that suggests a 2nd candle is now adding its energy to the pot of water. So what are you going to do?
Well, one way is to take the temperature data and graph it and calculate the trend before and after the supposed appearance of the 2nd candle. The change in trend is possibly the extra energy added by the 2nd candle.
Of course the analogy is really about CO2. So lets pick say … 1945 as the supposed appearance of the 2nd candle (CO2).
Why 1945? That is when CO2 really took off. Here is the CDIAC data in million metric tons of CO2.
And here is the data graphed. 1900 to 1945 in red. And 1945 to 2014 in blue. With trends. I used Woodfortrees for the graph and here is the url.
So … what are the trends.
1900 to 1945 = 0.0110866C / Year
1945 to 2014 = 0.00954579 / Year
I conclude the 2nd candle actually changed the trend downward by 0.00154081C / Year.
Maybe it wasn’t a candle? Maybe it was an ice cube.
I think only conspiracy theorists could come up with a 2nd candle theory when the trend actually went down.
I see that the NY Times isn’t quite as thick as they used to be in this article about climate alarmist tactics backfiring.
“But there is every reason to believe that efforts to raise public concern about climate change by linking it to natural disasters will backfire. More than a decade’s worth of research suggests that fear-based appeals about climate change inspire denial, fatalism and polarization.”
“Some people, the report noted, “are likely to buy an SUV to help them through the erratic weather to come” for example, rather than support fuel-efficiency standards.”
I have a foolproof plan for cheap high speed rail.
- Take a medium speed train. Paint it in a new color scheme. And announce it is a new high speed train.
- Wait until a stupid greenie holds a news conference demanding that the high speed trains run slower to save on CO2.
- Have the train company announce that it will gladly comply with the greenies and run the new “high speed” train at “medium speed” train velocity.
- Bank the savings.
(Inspiration Tim Blair)
HadCRUT4 is a gridded dataset of global historical surface temperature anomalies relative to a 1961-1990 reference period.
HADCRUT4 Feb 1878 0.403C
HADCRUT4 Feb 2014 0.299C
It is too bad the EU has worked so hard to stop fracking in Europe. Europe might had have some spare natural gas to sell the Ukraine.
“Ukraine’s Western-backed leaders scrambled on Friday to find new sources of energy after Russia hiked its gas price by 80 percent in response to the overthrow of Kiev’s pro-Kremlin regime.”
“We are now reviewing our electricity and fuel balance for 2014 with a view of using as much domestic coal as possible at the expense of natural gas,”
The Denier Credo
1) The Earth HAD been warming. And it stopped. And it also warmed from 1909 to 1945 and stopped for almost 35 years and cooled some. And it also warmed to about 1878 and also stopped and then cooled.
2) CO2 acts as a green house gas, and the amount of CO2 is increasing, and has increased a lot since 1998 with no effect on temperature
3) If Humans are causing climate change, it is very selective and tends to coincide with the AMO cycle.
4) This small amount of warming will cause fanatical people to squander trillions of dollars trying to prevent the same warming/cooling that has occurred in the past in a similar form to the AMO. This insane response to natural fluctuation is causing net economic harm and increase human suffering by replacing nuclear and coal power with tree burning power plants (which produce way more CO2) and bird chopping wind turbines and filthy rare earth contaminated solar panels.
5) The natural warming after the Little Ice Age is a good thing.